Breaking down the Ashtanga Vinyasa System Course with Satoru Koguchi
Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga expands the potential of your body, mind, and spirit through fixed techniques. In this course, we focus on those techniques in detailed explanations and practice aimed at deepening our appreciation of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga.
This course covers the subject in even finer detail as we explore Vinyasa in terms of synchronizing the body and breath as well deepening our awareness.
Week 1: Vinyasa
- Practicing Ujjayi breath, Moola Bandha, Uddiyana Bandha.
- Linking the body and breath.
- Practicing Surya Namaskara with awareness of Vinyasa.
Week 2: Surya Namaskara 1
- Reviewing and analyzing the practice of Surya Namaskara.
- Deepening our understanding of the Vinyasa system.
Week 3: Surya Namaskara 2
- Delving further into Surya Namaskara to deepen our understanding of each posture, especially the
- Upward-facing Dog, the Downward-facing Dog, and Chaturanga Dandasana.
Week 4: Standing postures
- Analyzing and practicing how to approach and move between postures.
Week 5: Arm Balancing
- Developing the feeling of getting on our arms.
Incorporating the Jump Through and the Jump Back by becoming more familiar with using our arms.
Week 6: Sitting Postures
- Analyzing and practicing the postures.
- Learning how to move between postures with the Jump Through and the Jump Back.
Week 7: Backbending
- Deepening the backbend through various means.
- Practicing the Urdhva Dhanurasana by gradually stretching and opening.
Week 8: Inversion
- Working with a focus on poses such as the Shoulderstand and the Headstand.
- Learning how to practice the postures.
Week 9: Full Primary Led
- We conclude by practicing how to integrate what we have learned by synchronizing our body and breath, and by developing energy and sharing it with delight among ourselves.